At BARBRI, we believe that every student deserves the most effective education experience possible. We believe that by working with the global legal profession more closely, we can effectively bridge the gap between university and employment by creating effective learning and development to enhance the qualifications and employability skills of the legal profession and aspiring lawyers.
Priorities for the business
Driving Execution – Translates strategic priorities into operational reality; Aligns communication, accountabilities, resource capabilities, internal processes, and ongoing measurement systems to ensure that strategic priorities yield measurable and sustainable results.
Building Organisational Talent - Establishes systems and processes to attract, develop, engage, and retain talented individuals; creates a work environment where people can realize their full potential, thus allowing the organisation to meet current and future business challenges.
Building Partnerships - Identifies opportunities and takes action to build strategic relationships between one's area and other areas, teams, departments, units, or organisations to help achieve business goals.
Leading Change - Identifies and drives organisational and cultural changes needed to adapt strategically to changing market demands, technology, and internal initiatives; Effects new approaches to improve results by transforming processes, products and services.
As the Employability & Engagement Manager, you will be part of a talented careers team and will contribute to BARBRI’s careers provision to its students and employers. As a self-starter you will work to deliver the agenda for BARBRI’s position within the Qualifying Work Experience (QWE) space, enhance student employability through multiple interventions and collaborate with universities and employers.
The role will require you to work closely across multiple functions with the business to develop, resource and deliver an effective support service for current students, along with identifying, delivering and evaluating student employability needs and outcomes.
Critical to this role is the effective development of careers provision within the department, designing and delivery of industry-specific content to prospective students from school age through to alumni. As a legal education and careers specialist, you will help build brand awareness in the market of BARBRI, co-ordinate and manage BARBRI’s Community engagement and enhance employability services offered within the SQE curriculum and more widely.
Reporting to the Head of Employability and Engagement and working closely with other functions, your responsibilities will include:
- Implementing a career development strategy setting out to increase employer and student engagement, building market awareness of new routes and roles in legal practice, increase usage of careers and employability support services as well as contribute to increased course enrolments, student employability outcomes and business growth ambitions.
- Leading on coordinating employer engaged careers guidance and advice to students. This will ensure progress against critical employability indicators and Key Performance Indicators (i.e. post-qualification employment and QWE opportunities) is maintained and built upon.
- Successfully prepare students to enable them to develop the necessary skills and confidence to progress with their career aspirations.
- Provide advice to students on the development of CVs and covering letters, commercial awareness and directing them to help for activities such as interviews and other recruitment processes.
- Conduct mock interviews and application reviews, providing students with feedback and areas to develop.
- The successful candidate will take a lead role in developing employability projects and collaborations between key external partners, develop new strategic collaborations and pathways to ensure BARBRI careers provision pervades the student journey from school to alumni.
- Create value-add partnerships across the industry including but not limited to career guidance professionals and employer engagement teams at universities, careers industry associations, legal career initiatives, flexible resourcing organisations and legal recruitment agencies.
- Create a framework to leverage and engage with our alumni and other audiences as part of our BARBRI Community initiative.
- Lead on identifying and collaborating with partners in the delivery of new QWE opportunities for students. Ensure each partner is evaluated to ensure a collaboration is aligned to the overall careers and employability strategy and the growth of the business.
- Stay up-to-date on employment market trends, industry changes, and emerging career paths to better advise students on their career journeys.
- Write and maintain active social media content specific to supporting the needs of our students and alumni. Contribute to blogs, vlogs, podcasts and other engaging content and evaluate the success of each tactic and channel.
- Identify and deliver, within the business and with external partners, career focused events and workshops and be confident to chair and moderate events as needed. Co-ordinate all direct comms related to the events and provide analysis and evaluation to assist in delivering an effective service.
- Manage and maintain robust financial records of all costs associated with careers provision and provide a monthly report to help inform budgeting.
- Track analytics, report lead generation numbers and evaluate the impact of each careers activity.
- Keep track of all collateral needs and work with the marketing team to organise and supply all relevant marketing assets.
As a member of the global team, you will:
- Act as a role model and ambassador for the Company to enhance BARBRI’s brand awareness and perception,
- carry out a wide range of activities to ensure the success of the BARBRI global business,
- attend and contribute to team meetings; and
- track and report on projects to your line manager.
Qualifications, knowledge, and experience
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Diploma in careers guidance.
- Min of 3 years careers experience in legal or university sector advising on legal careers.
- Knowledge of professional legal education sector including careers and employability agenda, the graduate employment market and QWE.
- Experience of writing, developing and delivery of legal careers focused workshops and information sessions.
- Experience of engaging effectively with external stakeholders and employers.
- Experience of managing projects, organizing workload effectively and reporting/data analysis.
- Strong proficiency in Excel, PowerPoint, Word and careers platforms such as Abintegro.
- Strong proficiency in using a CRM such as Salesforce.
- Strong proficiency in the use of social media and events platforms such as Zoom and Hopin.
- Organisation/project management – task-oriented and able to prioritise and plan efficiently and accurately.
- Adaptability—adapts to changes in the work environment, manages competing demands, and can deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Problem-solving—identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner and gathers and analyses information skillfully.
- Attention to detail – ability to identify any potential issues that may arise and/or suggesting improvements to any element of an event.
- Strong communication and networking skills are crucial to this role.